Berkeley Hospital Worcester

worcesterhospitalOn the west side of the Foregate adjoining the city wall is Berkeley’s Hospital, endowed in 1692 by Robert Berkeley, a grandson of Judge Berkeley of Spetchley, for twelve poor men; it is built in brick with stone dressings. It is entered through an iron gate having a two-storied lodging on either side, and on both sides of a long quadrangle are six houses with the arms of the founder over each door. At the top of the court is the chapel, entered by a large doorway over which are the Berkeley arms and in a niche the figure of the founder dated 1703, probably the date of the buildings generally. The chapel fittings were removed in 1867. (http://www.british-history.ac.uk)

Music for this picture: Heal Us Now (Leon Sher)

Advertisements